Versatile American character actor Wayne Knight has been frequently on stage, screen and television since the late 1970s. In the early '80s, he temporarily left acting (after appearing over 1,000 times in the play Gemini) to become a private detective. In 1986, Knight returned to film in The Sex O'Clock News. He has worked with a number of distinguished directors including Oliver Stone, Kenneth Branagh and Steven Spielberg playing roles ranging from comics to villains. On television, he is best known for playing the oily, self-serving postman Newman on the long-running sitcom Seinfeld, and Officer Don on the outworldly comedy Third Rock From the Sun.
Biography by Sandra Brennan
- Dropped out of college one credit shy of graduating to join the Barter Theatre Company in Virginia.
- Made his Broadway debut as a replacement in the long-running play Gemini.
- At one point in 1993, was featured in three different series on NBC—Seinfeld, Against the Grain and The Second Half. He was later featured on NBC's 3rd Rock From the Sun.
- Has worn the same pair of his trademark glasses since his Seinfeld days.
- Was married at the home of Seinfeld costar Michael Richards.
- Lost nearly 100 pounds through diet and exercise after his doctor called him "morbidly obese."