During the early 2000s, actor Scoot McNairy quickly came to specialize in portrayals of colorful and individualistic young men with a slightly rebellious edge. McNairy began during the early to mid-2000s, with bit parts in films including Wonderland (2003), Herbie: Fully Loaded (2005), and Art School Confidential (2006). He took his first bow as a producer with 2007's In Search of a Midnight Kiss, in which he also starred. That indie romantic comedy concerns a young man (McNairy) all washed up on New Year's Eve -- until an impulsive ad on Craigslist leads him to the great love of his life (Sara Simmonds) and an extraordinary night on the town.
Biography by Nathan Southern
- Nicknamed by his father because, as a toddler, used to scoot on his bottom across the floor.
- Growing up dyslexic, became interested in films because reading was difficult.
- Moved to Los Angeles to study cinematography and build sets, but started getting parts in commercials, and soon concentrated on acting.
- Formed production company called The Group Films with his manager, John Pierce, and first production credit is In Search of a Midnight Kiss (2007), in which he also starred.
- Costarred with his girlfriend, Whitney Able (whom he later married), in Gareth Edwards Monsters (2010), which earned him a Best Actor nomination at the British Independent Film Awards.
- In 2010, moved from Los Angeles with Houston-born wife to a 25-acre ranch in his native Texas, where he told people he was a lavender farmer—if they asked—to downplay his acting career.