After taking one of her first bows as the outspoken, assertive manager of an elementary school band in the Jack Black comedy School of Rock (2003), and playing one of the ten children of a fashion designer (Rene Russo) in the family comedy remake Yours, Mine and Ours (2005), actress Miranda Cosgrove landed a starring role on her own television series. She signed with The Disney Channel to play Carly Shay in iCarly (2007), a sitcom about a teenage girl who launches and runs an Internet webcast with two of her best friends. She voiced the part of Margo, one of the three children adopted by an evil mastermind in the animated film Despicable Me, and that film's sequel. Her debut album Sparks Fly dropped in April of 2010.
Biography by Nathan Southern
- Is an only child.
- Father is a dry cleaner; growing up, she thought it was normal to have all of her clothes dry-cleaned.
- Was discovered at the age of 3, when an agent saw her in a restaurant and approached her and her parents to discuss modeling and commercials.
- Costarred with Jack Black in School of Rock (2003), her first film; she reunited with Black when he guest starred on iCarly in November 2010.
- Sings Leave It All to Me, the theme song for iCarly.
- Became a Neutrogena spokesmodel in 2010.
- Released her debut album, Sparks Fly, in April 2010, and followed it up with High Maintenance in March 2011.
- Kicked off her first concert tour, Dancing Crazy, in January 2011.
- Plays guitar.
- Got accepted into the University of Southern California and New York University in April 2011; deferred admission to both to continue working on iCarly.
- Sports hobbies include horseback riding, fencing and playing tennis.
- Enjoys shopping for vintage clothes and collecting purses.
- Calls herself a "movie junkie"; To Kill a Mockingbird is her favorite film.