- Began a fellowship at the renowned Guthrie Theater Company in Minneapolis shortly after her graduation from the University of Minnesota in 1968.
- Made an early small-screen acting turn in the 1973 made for TV-movie The Picture of Dorian Gray, in which she played the title character's unwitting love interest.
- Received five consecutive Emmy Award nominations (1978-82) and three consecutive Golden Globe nominations (1979-81) for her supporting role as a reporter in the acclaimed TV series Lou Grant, starring Ed Asner.
- Returned to her local theater roots following a slowdown in her television acting career.
- In 2009, took part in stage performances of The Mary Tyler Moore Show, reenacting a 1974 episode of the series in which she'd appeared as a young woman with hopes of taking over the "Happy Homemaker" show.