- Acting alongside his father, he makes his debut on stage as an 8-year-old. He takes acting classes at the Royal Conservatoire of Antwerp.
- At 15, he makes his first appearance on the big screen in the film Daens, once again alongside his father.
- He gains fame for his role in the 2011 film, Bullhead. In order to prepare for his role as a livestock farmer, he had to gain about 65 pounds of muscle.
- In 2012, he is chosen by Jacques Audiard for a principal role in Rust and Bone (De rouille et d'os), in which he shares the screen with Marion Cotillard.
- In 2013, he becomes the first Belgian actor to take home the César Award for Most Promising Actor of the Year.