American audiences first caught suave and dashing British actor Jim Sturgess via his portrayal of Jude -- the paternally shorn young man who travels to the U.S. amid the raging throes of the late '60s and falls in love with musician Lucy (Evan Rachel Wood) -- in Julie Taymor's hallucinatory Beatles drama Across the Universe (2007). This indeed represented Sturgess' preeminent international bow, but prior to it, he sustained almost a decade of roles in British productions -- mostly telefilms -- including I'm Frank Morgan (2000), Hawkins (2001), and the three installments of the Quest series. He followed up Across The Universe with the gambling thriller 21 and the period drama The Other Boleyn Girl. He lent his voice to Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole in 2010, and in 2011 he appeared opposite Anne Hathaway in the romantic drama One Day.
Biography by Nathan Southern
- Made his feature debut in the British drama The Browning Version (1994), starring Albert Finney.
- Concentrated on filmmaking in college, but it was his one-man show, Buzzin, that brought him to the attention of another actor, and eventually, that actor's agent.
- His rock band, Dilated Spies, split up shortly before he auditioned for the lead role in Julie Taymor's 2007 musical Across the Universe.
- Prior to filming 21 (2008), a movie about MIT students getting rich by counting cards in Las Vegas, he had never gambled.
- Is a singer and songwriter, in addition to playing piano, guitar and drums.