- Worked as a carpenter to pay his college tuition.
- Took a year off from college, during which he spent time at a Tibetan monastery.
- Planned on a career in politics before switching to acting.
- Interned at the White House during the Clinton administration.
- Founded a software company after college.
- Worked as a producer and copywriter for the NPR program Weekly Edition.
- Enjoys outdoor activities, including biking, kayaking, hiking and snowboarding.
- Lives in a house he designed and built himself.
- Is a published poet.