The acting career of Adam Baldwin -- no relation to the famous Baldwin brothers Alec, William, and Stephen -- has been filled with ups and downs as he aspires to the stardom that as yet, seems to elude him. Due to his muscular 6'4" frame, the handsome Baldwin is frequently cast as hulking bad guys and psychopathic killers. He has been involved with films since he appeared in My Bodyguard (1980), the story of a victimized teenager seeking the protection of the school bully (Baldwin) who is believed to have killed his brother. While he did a fine job as the taciturn, deeply traumatized young man who affects a violent facade to conceal his inner pain, it was his costar Matt Dillon who became famous. Baldwin then went on to play supporting roles in three lesser films before playing the lead in the 1986 bomb Bad Guys, where he dyed his naturally dark hair bright blond and played a young cop who becomes a wrestler after he is suspended from the force. One year later he appeared in his most memorable role as the psychopathic war-loving soldier Animal in Stanley Kubrick's Full Metal Jacket (1987). In 1992, Baldwin played a drunken, abusive stepfather in Radio Flyer.
Biography by Sandra Brennan
- Discovered while attending high school, making an auspicious film debut in 1980's My Bodyguard.
- Good friends with Jamie Lee Curtis, and appeared in Molly & Roni's Dance Party as a favor to her.
- Not, as sometimes thought, related to the acting Baldwin brothers Alec, Daniel, William and Stephen.
- Cast in more than 60 movies in his decades-long career.
- Contributed articles to the Web sites Big Hollywood and the Huffington Post.
- Participated in the charity Ride 2 Recovery, a cycling rehabilitation program for wounded soldiers.