- Met Charlie Higson at university in 1977 and the two became friends, working together in The Fast Show.
- Dropped out of university after a year and started working as a decorator.
- Was inspired to write comedy after working as a tradesman on a house that was shared by actors Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie.
- His catchphrase "Suits you, sir" was voted one of the greatest comedy catchphrases of all time by British broadcaster Channel 4 viewers in 2008.
- Is a keen angler and took part in a charity fundraiser for Sense with Chris Tarrant, where they competed to catch the biggest trout, in 2012.
- Changed his entire look for a television commercial for Aviva, dressing as a biker with a full beard and tattoos in 2013.