Glamorous Latina actress Ana Ortiz is best known for her series portrayal of Hilda Suarez, the stunning older sister of homely fashion assistant Betty Suarez, on the blockbuster seriocomedy Ugly Betty. Though signing for the role meant officially taking a back seat to series star America Ferrera, Ortiz's presence left little doubt that all heads would turn when she entered the frame. Her resumé also sports appearances on such prime-time series as NYPD Blue, ER, and A.U.S.A. In 2004, Ortiz landed a key supporting role in the Julia Stiles-headlined, big-screen romantic comedy Carolina.
Biography by Nathan Southern
- Her father, Angel Ortiz, was the first Latino elected to Philadelphia's city council in 1984, where he served for 19 years.
- Has said her childhood dream was to be a ballerina, but she switched to singing, and ultimately acting, when dancing became too painful.
- Made her television debut with a small part in the 1999 TV-movie Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman: The Movie.
- After her November 2006 engagement to Noah Lebenzon, guitarist for the indie-rock band Everything Is Energy, her father began to plan their wedding in Puerto Rico because she was too busy filming Ugly Betty.
- Enjoys hiking and kickboxing.