- Is of Cuban-Dominican descent.
- Became interested in acting during elementary school after seeing a play by the Puerto Rican Traveling Theatre.
- Was cast in her first professional acting job in a stage production of Simpson Street with the Puerto Rican Traveling Theatre.
- Starred in New World Stages' production of Celia in 2007.
- Played the role of Lela in an off-Broadway production of Basilica.
- Partnered with Orgullosa to donate $30,000 to the Hispanic Scholarship Fund.
- Is an Angel Ambassador for Gabrielle's Angel Foundation for Cancer Research.
- Attended a prom for teen patients of the Children's Hospital at Montefiore in 2015.
- Is an activist for LGBT rights and has a sister who is a transgender woman.