- Left Australia for the United Kingdom in 1969; shortly after his arrival, he saw Ian McClellan perform on the stage in Richard II and decided to become an actor.
- Was an original cast member of Not the Nine O'Clock News; left the show when it underwent heavy cast changes for the second season.
- Is an Associate Member of the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art.
- A member of the Royal Shakespeare Company; performed in the RSC's tour of King Lear in 2007, opposite Ian McKellan.
- Is an accomplished singer and painter.