- Studied ballet from the age of 10 through 17 at the Art's Educational theatrical school.
- Originated the role of Victoria in the London production of Andrew Lloyd Weber's beloved musical Cats.
- First major big-screen role came as John Travolta's love interest in the 1983 Saturday Night Fever sequel Staying Alive.
- Appeared as the character Anna Devane on long-running ABC soap operas All My Children and General Hospital, and also portrayed the character's twin sister, Dr. Alexandra Devane.
- Won a Daytime Emmy for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series in 1991 for her work on General Hospital, and was nominated for the same award in 1990, 2000 and 2002.
- Created a jewelry line for home shopping network QVC in 2005.
- Coauthored, with Digby Diehl, the book Soapsuds: A Novel (2006), a fictionalized look at the behind-the-scenes world of soaps.
- Supports the Art of Elysium, a non-profit organization that provides artistic workshops for seriously ill children.