- Was an avid swimmer and rugby player in his youth.
- Worked at a variety of jobs before his acting career took off, including delivering milk, and selling cars and real estate.
- Performed in his parents' theater group and did radio voice-overs in New Zealand before moving to Australia in 1979, where he soon landed a role on the soap opera The Young Doctors.
- Became famous in Australia for playing the character Jim Robinson on the soap Neighbours for eight years.
- While he was playing bass in a band with his Neighbours costars at a 1987 charity event, a cast member named Kylie Minogue sang Little Eva's "The Loco-motion" with them, and her singing career was born.
- After moving to Los Angeles in 2000, quickly became familiar to U.S. audiences with roles on ER, The X-Files and The O.C., among other shows.
- Shared a 2007 Screen Actors Guild Award nomination for Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series for the ABC dramedy Ugly Betty.
- Says his motto is the Winston Churchill quote, "Never, never, never give up."