- Learned to belly dance at the age of 4.
- Moved to Bogotá, Colombia, at 13 to pursue a modeling career, but ended up signing a recording contract with Sony Music Colombia.
- Starred in the Colombian telenovela El Oasis in 1994.
- Gloria Estefan helped in the translation of "Ojos Así" for Shakira's first English-language album, Laundry Service.
- In 2003, Mattel launched a Shakira doll.
- Received a UN humanitarian award in 2006 for starting Barefoot, a Colombian charity that helps children escape violence.
- Launched the beauty line "S by Shakira" in 2010.
- Appointed by Barack Obama to serve on the Advisory Commission on Education Excellence for Hispanics in 2011.
- Awarded a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 2011.
- Often performs barefoot in concert.