- Wrote a letter as a teenager to Walt Disney Studios, enquiring how he could become an artist on their staff, and went on more than a decade later to work as an artist on the Disney classic The Little Mermaid.
- Received his first screen credit as a Storyboard Artist on the 1984 TV series The Littles, and went on to work as a Storyboard Artist for many huge animated features, including Toy Story, Chicken Run and Frozen.
- Worked as the Assistant Art Director on Tim Burton's cult classic The Nightmare Before Christmas.
- Worked as a Storyboard Artist on the first Shrek film, before going on to direct its sequel, Shrek 2.
- Is an enthusiastic writer and illustrator of children's books, with titles published including Rusty's Red Vacation, Frankensquare, Candy Corn, Witch Dot and Thanksgiving Parade.
- Is fascinated with ventriloquism, though not a ventriloquist himself, and even published a book on the topic in 2003.