Initially known for her multi-telefilm portrayal of Christy Huddleston, the young woman who accepts a teaching position in rural Cutter Gap, NC, and begins educating the ignorant locals -- a role she inherited from Kellie Martin, the star of the mid-'90s TV series -- actress Lauren Lee Smith simultaneously defied any related attempts to pigeonhole her as a family-friendly actress by branching out into much grittier and edgier material. Role choices included that of a psychic mutant in the sci-fi series Mutant X (2001-2004), a nymphomaniac in the racy Lie With Me (2005), a lesbian cook on the Showtime drama series The L Word (2004-2006), a "beat" girl in Terry Zwigoff's misanthropic comedy drama Art School Confidential (2006), and a homicidal med student in the thriller Pathology (2008). In the years to come, Smith would remain active on screen, appearing on shows like CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, Good Dog, and The Listener.
Biography by Nathan Southern
- Lived in a number of countries growing up, including her native Canada, Central America, Europe and the United States.
- Made her film debut in 2000's Get Carter.
- Breakthrough role was in 2005's erotic drama Lie with Me, opposite Eric Balfour.
- Costarred on The L Word for three seasons, from 2004 to 2006, as chef Lara Perkins.
- Joined the cast of CSI: Crime Scene Investigation in 2008.