Born in Jaipur, India, actor Irfan Kahn earned his master's from the National School of Drama in 1984 before embarking on his career. Beginning with a number of serials for Indian TV, Kahn soon developed a following, eventually transitioning into film work, and becoming a mainstay of the Bollywood film industry. He developed a reputation as a villain and character actor, though in 2005 he would expand his horizons, taking on the leading role in the movie Rog. Also around this time, Kahn began testing the waters of American film, appearing in A Mighty Heart and The Darjeeling Limited. A few years later, in 2008, he appeared in another cross-continental hit, playing a police officer in the Academy Award-winning Slumdog Millionaire.
Biography by Cammila Collar
- Was good at cricket growing up and was even selected for CK Nayudu Tournament for emerging players under 23 years, which is a stepping stone to First Class cricket, but was unable to compete because of lack of funds.
- Met his wife Sutapa Sikdar while in school – they were both studying acting, but she was also intending to pursue story and screenplay writing.
- His first lead role in a Bollywood film was in 2005's Rog.
- Reportedly changed his name from Irfan to Irrfan because he liked the sound of an extra ‘r’ in his name.
- Was appointed as the brand ambassador for a campaign by the state government of Rajasthan called Resurgent Rajasthan in September 2015.