- Her father was a foreign correspondent for the Daily Telegraph, leading her to travel abroad occasionally to spend time with her parents in India, Tehran and Beirut.
- Spent ten years on landmark British soap opera, Coronation Street, before leaving in 1971.
- Filmed scenes for Love Actually (2003), playing a headmistress tending to her dying partner, but her scenes were ultimately cut from the film.
- Played Jack's mother in Into the Woods at the Royal Opera House in London in 2007.
- Appointed an MBE (Member of the Order of the British Empire) in 2010.