More than a few actresses started their professional careers as models, but Tyson Beckford is one of the few men to follow that career arc. Beckford escaped a rough childhood after being noticed by a fashion expert who worked for the magazine The Source. He quickly rose to the top of the ladder, working with such celebrated names as Herb Ritts. In the early '90s, he began a long association with Ralph Lauren. As the 21st century dawned, Beckford segued into an acting career with appearances in some small films, eventually landing substantial parts in the action films Biker Boyz and Into the Blue.
Biography by Perry Seibert
- Lived in his parents' native Jamaica until age 7.
- Discovered in Washington Square Park when he was 21 by editors from The Source Magazine.
- His agent/manager, Bethann Hardison, is Kadeem Hardison's mother.
- Appeared in a number of music videos, including Toni Braxton's "Unbreak My Heart" and Britney Spears' "Toxic."
- Has a strong interest in motor sports and hosted the auto series Fine Tuned on the Speed Channel.
- Has participated in the Race to Deliver, which helps homebound people with AIDS.