A skilled actress with the unique ability to toggle between tough-as-nails conviction and all-too-human vulnerability, actress Catherine Dent possesses the sort of classy timeless beauty that -- when combined with modern sensibility -- makes her the perfect addition to the cast of the acclaimed television police drama The Shield. Though she has received widespread recognition for her role as the street-smart officer Danielle "Danny" Sofer on the series, Dent has also made impressive appearances on the big screen with memorable supporting roles in such features as Auto Focus and 21 Grams. Dent is a Baton Rouge, LA, native who studied her craft at the North Carolina School of the Arts. It didn't take long for the ambitious actress to make her feature debut opposite screen legend Paul Newman in the 1994 drama Nobody's Fool. Her subsequent roles opposite Jim Carrey and Ashley Judd in The Majestic and Someone Like You proved that Dent had what it takes to make it in Hollywood. She did stage work in both Broadway and regional theater giving testament to her deep-rooted love of acting. Though she was an increasingly familiar face to television viewers throughout the '90s -- thanks to guest roles in The X-Files, Frasier, Law & Order, and The Sopranos -- it was a recurring role in the long-running soap One Life to Live (beginning in 1997) that truly put Dent on the map with television viewers. That same year, Dent made a lasting impression by joining the cast of The Shield; she also made her first foray into science fiction territory as a mother whose contact with extraterrestrials profoundly affects her life in the Steven Spielberg produced Sci Fi Channel miniseries Taken. A supporting role in 21 Grams was quick to follow, with a substantial role in the 2005 black comedy The Unseen, assuring audiences that they'll be seeing plenty more of Dent in the years to follow.
Biography by Jason Buchanan
- Was a cross-country runner in high school.
- Father ran unsuccessfully for governor of Louisiana in 1991.
- Was cast in the Paul Newman film Nobody's Fool six months after she graduated from North Carolina School of the Arts.
- Played Sgt. Danny Sofer on the groundbreaking cable police drama The Shield. She explained to canmag.com that her childhood helped prepare her for the rough edges of show's male characters: "My two big brothers made me tough enough to work with these guys."
- Her stage credits include Bang the Drum Slowly, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof and Baby Doll.
- Appeared on NCIS in 2010 as a former agent with a past shared with Ducky, played by David McCallum.
- Her 2011 performance in an L.A. stage production of The Break of Noon as the former wife of a man traumatized by an office massacre was praised by smmirror.com. The reviewer says her efforts in a dual role---she also plays the man's ex-girlfriend---made it "hard to recognize the same actress is playing both roles."