- Started acting in high-school plays and joined a theater company in college.
- Dustin Hoffman made her go to his dermatologist during their time on the 1989 Broadway production of The Merchant of Venice to treat a copperhead snake bite.
- Into her mid-30s, she worked in Los Angeles as a valet parking attendant and waitress to survive until the next acting opportunity came along.
- Quit her office job at a non-profit organization once My Name Is Earl got picked up for a second season on NBC.
- Won a 2010 Independent Spirit Award for Best Supporting Actress for her role in Winter's Bone.