Colin Hanks, son of the famous Tom Hanks, was born on November 24, 1977. He spent his youth in Sacramento, and, after deciding to follow in his father's dramatic footsteps, began studying acting. Attending Loyola Marymount University in Westchester, CA, he gained experience that would help to make him a talent in his own right, in addition to the name his father had already made. Before graduation, he had a bit part in That Thing You Do! (1996), directed by his father. Hanks landed a role on WB's Roswell after he finished college, and soon followed it up with a turn in the youthful, modern version of the Cyrano de Bergerac story, Whatever It Takes (2000). In 2002, he starred in Orange County with Jack Black, a stoner comedy involving misplaced college applications and a wide range of hilarious characters. Hanks would make a habbit of appearing in Black's films, appearing in Peter Jackson's King Kong in 2005, and Tenacious D in The Pick of Destiny in 2006. He would spend the next few years picking up roles in movies like 2008's Homeland Security and The House Bunny, before joining the cast of the action-comedy series The Good Guys in 2010. The show only lasted for 20 episodes, but TV prooved to be a good fit for Hanks, who would go on to become a regular face on TV, on shows like Dexter and Burning Love.
Biography by Sarah Sloboda
- First job on a film set was as a production assistant on Apollo 13 (1995).
- As a former resident of Orange County, he identified with his character’s feelings toward the town in the 2002 film of the same name, having spent his freshman year of college at Chapman University in the county.
- Starred alongside Jack Black in Orange County (2002) and King Kong (2005) and made a cameo appearance in Black's film Tenacious D in the Pick of Destiny (2006).
- Attributes weight gain for Alone With Her (2007) to eating a lot of bread and lamb while shooting King Kong in New Zealand. He decided that the extra pounds fit the profile of his character in Alone With Her, a creepy loner who stalks an unsuspecting young woman.
- A die-hard fan of the San Francisco Giants.