Television and movie heartthrob Justin Chambers began life on a difficult course; along with his fraternal twin brother, he reportedly battled multiple bouts of pneumonia, which forced the two boys to spend lengthy periods of time in oxygen tents. As a young man, this Springfield, OH, native flipped burgers at Hardee's and sold orthopedic shoes, then signed with a modeling agency and tackled print work across Europe in the early '90s. The leap from modeling to acting was a relatively short and easy one, and in 1996, Chambers commenced supporting roles in big-screen feature films, telemovies, and prime-time series. He began with a handful of TV movies, as well as a prominent role in Barry Levinson's gentle coming-of-age period piece Liberty Heights (1999). Chambers big break would come in 2005, however when he landed the role of cocky but emotionally guarded Dr. Alex Karev on the popular medical drama Grey's Anatomy.
Biography by Nathan Southern
- Began modeling after being approached by a modeling scout in Paris; appeared in campaigns for Calvin Klein and Armani.
- Studied acting at New York's famed HB Studio.
- Made his film debut in the 1999 Barry Levinson drama Liberty Heights.
- Both he and former Grey's Anatomy costar Chris O'Donnell played D'Artagnan in different incarnations of Alexandre Dumas' classic tale: O'Donnell in 1993's The Three Musketeers and Chambers in 2001's The Musketeer.
- In 2005, he played a cop in the film Southern Belles and a detective in The Zodiac.