- The daughter of a Scottish doctor and Welsh actress.
- Belonged to a Richard Chamberlain fan club when she was 13.
- Although very shy, became enamored of acting while attending school. One of her earliest roles: the midshipman in a 1968 school production of HMS Pinafore.
- Acting became a priority while studying for her A levels at a Manchester, England, technical college. She discovered the nearby Manchester Library Theatre Company and eventually scored her first professional role with it; she played a 12-year-old boy in George Bernard Shaw's Androcles and the Lion.
- Appeared in the first British production of Jesus Christ Superstar.
- Starred in a series of U.K. commercials for Tetley Tea.
- Is a patron of Jemima's Place Animal Trust in South Wales, England.