- Is the daughter of Sindhi parents who had migrated as refugees from Pakistan to Worli in Mumbai.
- Acted in French plays early in life due to her great interest in French.
- Made her small screen debut in Trishna (1984).
- Made her acting debut in film with Govind Nihalani's Rukhmavati Ki Haveli (1992).
- Has acted in two French films Black (1987) and Ils se marièrent et eurent beaucoup d'enfants (2003).
- Won the best actress award at the Festival of Three Continents held in Nantes, France in 1998 for the film Dance of the Wind (1997) that was co-produced by five countries.
- Dated Sujay Sood, a New York based writer, whom she met at National Centre for the Performing Arts (NCPA), Mumbai.
- Scuffled against women workers of Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) while protesting a flyover.
- Learnt Latin Ball room dancing for five years under the guidance of her friend Sandeep Soparkar.