Born on a Belgian army base, curly brown-haired Johnny Galecki grew up in Chicago and started acting professionally at the age of 12. He made his feature film debut in 1988 as River Phoenix's little brother in A Night in the Life of Jimmy Reardon. He then assumed the role of Rusty Griswold in National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, and gained his first regular role on a TV series as Robert Ulrich's son in American Dreamer. In 1991, he starred in the made-for-TV movie Backfield in Motion, co-starring the production team of Roseanne and Tom Arnold. The next year, Galecki joined the cast of Roseanne as Darlene's sensitive and put-upon boyfriend David Healy. He stayed on the show until its final season in 1997, although he wasn't on very much during its last few years. His other television credits include several guest appearances, leading roles in made-for-TV movies, and a part on the short-lived Head of the Class spin-off Billy. After Roseanne ended, he got back into features with small parts in I Know What You Did Last Summer, Bean, and Suicide Kings. He continued playing slightly effeminate sensitive males in The Opposite of Sex and Morgan's Ferry. After bit parts in Bounce, Playing Mona Lisa, and Vanilla Sky, Galecki played a leading role in the comedy thriller Bookies, which premiered at the 2003 Sundance Film Festival. In 2007 he landed the leading role in the sitcom The Big Bang Theory and it grew to be one of the most popular shows on TV, earning Galecki Emmy, Golden Globe, and Sag nominations in 2011 for his work on the show. He maintained his movie career in projects such as Hancock and In Time.
Biography by Andrea LeVasseur
- Born in Belgium while his father was serving in the U.S. Air Force.
- Began performing in community theater at age 7.
- Acted alongside Roseanne and Tom Arnold in the TV movie Backfield in Motion in 1992, which led to him being cast on Roseanne's show.
- When he first appeared on Roseanne, his character was given the name "Kevin" although he was supposed to be named "David." He already played a character named "David" on another show, Billy, so the producers changed it, and then changed it back when Billy was canceled.
- Appeared in the Dave Matthews Band video for "Satellite."
- Made his Broadway debut in The Little Dog Laughed on November 13, 2006, where he appeared on stage totally nude.
- Was a finalist in PETA's 2012 Sexiest Celebrity Vegetarian contest.