A veteran of both stage and film, Boyd Gaines made his big-screen debut, quite appropriately, in the 1980 showbiz movie Fame. In 1982 he played Coach Brackett in the sex comedy Porky's, and in 1985 he was cast as Valerie Bertinelli's love interest and later husband Mark on the series One Day at a Time. Gaines would stay with the series until 1984, and several TV guest appearances followed on shows like L.A. Law and Murder, She Wrote. Additionally, Gaines nurtured a successful career on Broadway, eventually wracking up four Tony nominations.
Biography by Cammila Collar
- Because his family traveled so much, he estimates that he went to 12 different grade schools and middle schools.
- Credits a high-school English teacher with sparking his interest in theater.
- Has narrated more than 50 audio books.
- With his 2007 Tony nod for Journey's End, he became the first performer to be nominated in all four categories for which actors qualify.
- In his acceptance speech for his first Tony (The Heidi Chronicles), he thanked Victor Garber "for not taking this part."
- Nickname is Bird.