A native of Englewood, NJ, Genie Francis would become one of the most recognizable soap opera actresses of all time because she portrayed Laura Webber Spencer on General Hospital. The character's relationship with Luke Spencer (Anthony Geary) enthralled millions, with their wedding drawing the largest rating for any soap opera episode ever up to that time. In addition to her work on General Hospital, Francis has been a regular at different times on other serials including Days of Our Lives and All My Children. She has done one-off appearances on numerous series including Fantasy Island, Murder, She Wrote, and 3rd Rock from the Sun.
Biography by Perry Seibert
- Met husband Jonathan Frakes on the set of the 1982 TV-movie Bare Essence; they later costarred in the 1985 miniseries North and South.
- Earned her first Daytime Emmy nomination in 1997 for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series for her role as Laura Spencer on General Hospital.
- Won a Daytime Emmy in 2007 in the category of Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series for the same role.
- Opened a home-furnishings boutique called the Cherished Home in Belfast, Maine, in June 2006.
- Released a holiday CD with her brothers, Ivor and Kenneth, in 2009.
- Joined the cast of The Young and the Restless in 2011.