- Was born in Cyprus, but grew up in Massachusetts.
- Got an early acting start in the Boston Children's Theatre.
- Attended the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art in London.
- First TV appearance was a guest role in the 1988 British police drama Rockliffe's Babies. She also had roles in The X-Files (as Scully's sister) and The Commish.
- Is best known for recurring roles in Desperate Housewives, The West Wing and, memorably, as an edgy, cynical and manipulative wife of a comic on the acclaimed drama Mad Men.
- Is certified in stage combat by the British Society of Fight Directors.
- Plays the saxophone.
- Played Commissioner Gordon's wife in the hit film The Dark Knight in 2008. (Nathan Gamble played her son in the film, and was again cast as her son in the short-lived 2009 sitcom Hank.)
- In 2009, wrote an essay about the premature birth of her daughter for the book Note to Self: 30 Women on Hardship, Humiliation, Heartbreak, and Overcoming It All.