Better known in many quarters by her initial stage name -- "Scary Spice" -- British diva Melanie Brown enjoyed a successful career as one of the singer/dancers in the late-'90s all-female Europop group the Spice Girls. She parlayed her celebrity into acting work as one of the leads in Spice World (1998), and then -- in the mid-2000s -- performed in stage productions of The Vagina Monologues and Rent. In 2007, Brown competed as one of the "celebrity dancers" (opposite dance partner Maksim Chmerkovskiy) on the fifth season of the popular ABC reality series Dancing with the Stars; the pair earned some of the season's highest scores and ended up coming in second place. She followed that success with the lead part in the little-seen thriller Telling Lies, and made a workout video in 2009.
Biography by Nathan Southern
- Sold more than 55 million albums worldwide as part of the British pop phenomenon the Spice Girls, in which she was often referred to as "Scary Spice."
- Released her solo debut, Hot, in 2000; the album LA State of Mind followed in 2005.
- Appeared on stage in Rent on Broadway and a London appearance in The Vagina Monologues.
- Released Catch a Fire: The Autobiography in 2002.
- Was partnered with Maksim Chmerkovskiy on the fifth season of ABC's Dancing with the Stars.
- Joined the judging panel of the Australian version of The X Factor in 2011; later appeared as a guest judge on the U.K. version of the show.