A Renaissance performer who is perfectly at home (and who has proven herself adept) in a broad array of genres and formats, Niecy Nash dreamed of an acting career from early girlhood. She trained as a theater major at California State University, Dominguez Hills, then obtained her first paid acting assignment by virtue of an L.A.-area casting director who enlisted her in Herbert Ross' 1995 comedy drama Boys on the Side. That assignment resulted in a memorable scene opposite Whoopi Goldberg, and Nash followed it up four years later with a small role in Robert Altman's comedy Cookie's Fortune (1999). The actress made her most enduring impact on television, however, with guest spots on NYPD Blue and CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, vocal work as Tollie Mae on the offbeat animated sitcom Kid Notorious, and -- perhaps most endearingly -- a regular assignment as Deputy Raineesha Williams on the raunchy, rollicking police-themed sitcom Reno 911! In 2007, Nash starred as the character of Jacuzzi opposite Cedric the Entertainer and Lucy Liu in the comic thriller Code Name: The Cleaner. Nash also hosted the Style Network's home-makeover series Clean House, and emceed both Emmy and Oscar pre-shows.
Biography by Nathan Southern
- Made her professional acting debut with a bit part in Boys on the Side (1995).
- Is a front person for Mothers Against Violence in Schools (M.A.V.I.S.), an organization founded by her mother in 1993 after her younger brother was shot and killed while at school.
- Tackled the challenge of organizing her childhood home in an episode of Clean House, the Style Network home-improvement series she hosts.
- Marriage to electrical engineer Jay Tucker on May 28, 2011, was the subject of Niecy Nash's Wedding Bash, which aired June 4, 2011, on TLC.
- In October 2011, launched Internet talk show "Let's Talk About Love" on Yahoo! Screen.