A statuesque beauty whose first love as an actor was the stage, Gina Torres immersed herself in her craft by connecting with a live audience; the symbiotic energy that it created fueled her passion for acting and encouraged her to pursue a career in film and television in addition to her multiple Broadway roles. Born the youngest of three siblings in a close-knit Cuban family in New York, Torres received early voice training at New York's High School of Music and Art. Trained in opera and jazz, the talented mezzo-soprano also sang in a gospel choir, refining her versatile voice into a finely developed instrument with remarkable range. Although regular viewers of TV fantasy no doubt recognize her from recurring roles on Hercules: The Legendary Journeys and its sister show, Xena: Warrior Princess, the talented actress and singer also appeared in such popular small-screen action and drama series as Dark Angel, Cleopatra 2525, Firefly, Alias, Any Day Now, and Angel. Married to actor Laurence Fishburne since September 2002, Torres' film roles have included 1996's Bed of Roses and The Matrix Reloaded (2003). She had a recurring role on the TV series Angel. She appeared in a number of projects including Serenity, and the Chris Rock comedy I Think I Love My Wife. In 2010 she was cast in the made-for-cable series Huge, about teens at a fat camp, and voiced Superwoman for the animated Justice League series.
Biography by Jason Buchanan
- Majored in voice at New York City's prestigious Fiorello H. LaGuardia High School of Music & Art and the Performing Arts (aka "the Fame school").
- Made TV debut on One Life to Live (the same soap in which Laurence Fishburne, whom she married in 2002, got his start).
- Worked with Fishburne in The Matrix Reloaded, The Matrix: Revolutions and the 2006 political thriller Five Fingers.
- Won 2001 ALMA Award for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Syndicated Drama Series for Cleopatra 2525.
- Voice work has included the character Vixen on the Cartoon Network's Justice League Unlimited, Airachnid on Transformers: Prime and Niobe on the computer game The Matrix Online.