L.A. native Joe Flanigan didn't always know that he would be an actor. He graduated from the University of Colorado with a degree in history before setting his sights on a career in front of the camera. He first got his feet wet with supporting roles in films like The Other Sister and Farewell to Harry, as well as TV series such as Sisters and Profiler, but his big break came when he was cast as Lt. Colonel John Sheppard on the science fiction series Stargate Atlantis, making him an icon in the sci-fi community.
Biography by Cammila Collar
- Raised near Reno, NV, where his parents owned a ranch.
- Had his first taste of the limelight at 14 when he starred as Stanley Kowalski in a school production of A Streetcar Named Desire.
- Spent his junior year of college in France.
- Some of his post-collegiate jobs included working as a White House advance man and as a magazine writer.
- Studied at the Neighborhood Playhouse in New York City.
- First TV series role was on the NBC drama Sisters.
- Had never seen an episode of Stargate SG-1 until he was cast for the pilot of the spin-off Stargate Atlantis.
- Developed the story for the Atlantis episode "Epiphany," in which his character is stuck on a planet where time speeds up.
- Works with Waterkeeper Alliance, an environmental organization that protects bodies of water from pollution.
- Raises his own honeybees and has an organic vegetable garden.
- Was a competitive skier for many years, and also enjoys rock climbing, mountain biking, skateboarding and surfing.