A native of Melbourne, Australian actress Emily Browning broke into show business on a national level rather early on, with repeat high-profile appearances in Aussie series including Something in the Air and Blue Heelers. She transitioned to the big screen -- and quickly attained international exposure with a Hollywood turn in the Scott Rudin-produced, Jim Carrey-starring fantasy Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events (2004), and in the meantime completed her high school degree. A number of additional assignments followed, including (most notably) the 2009 supernatural horror remake The Uninvited, the fantastical action film Sucker Punch, and the erotic drama Sleeping Beauty.
Biography by Nathan Southern
- Made her acting debut at 10 in the Hallmark TV movie The Echo of Thunder.
- Was a 2007 ambassador at the L'Oreal Melbourne Fashion Festival, which promotes the Australian fashion industry.
- Was author Stephenie Meyer's first pick to play Bella Swan in the first Twilight film.
- Appeared in the music video for Evermore's "Light Surrounding You."
- Replaced Amanda Seyfried in Sucker Punch and Mia Wasikowska in Sleeping Beauty (both due to scheduling conflicts).
- Sings on the soundtracks for many of her films, including Sucker Punch and Plush.