- In his youth, studied acting at the Patricia Hammond School of Dramatic Art (the name was changed to the Debbie Fyffe Theatre School in 1996).
- Got first professional acting job at 11, playing Kurt von Trapp in The Sound of Music at Sadler's Wells Theatre in London.
- Two big breaks came in the mid-1990s: playing Sam Spalding for two seasons on the British school drama Grange Hill; and being cast as Jim Hawkins in the U.S. musical film Muppet Treasure Island (1996), which earned him a Young Artist Award nomination for Best Performance in a Feature Film—Leading Young Actor.
- Portrayed Dudley Moore in Pete and Dud: Come Again, a stage production about the comedic relationship between Moore and Peter Cook, which premiered at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe in 2005 before moving to London the following year.
- His British Comedy Awards nominations include Best Newcomer, for Star Stories in 2006; and Best Sketch Show, for his eponymous series, The Kevin Bishop Show, in 2009.