- Trained as an opera singer at Northwestern University.
- Performed with the Metropolitan and New York City Opera Companies.
- Appeared on Broadway in such shows as Nine, Sunday in the Park With George and The King and I, for which she received a Tony nomination.
- In 1971, originated the role of Alma in the stage production of Summer and Smoke, based on a Tennessee Williams play. A 1982 TV production of the work also featured her in the same role; the New York Times called her TV work "superb."
- Has appeared in the TV series Dawson's Creek and The Good Wife.
- In 2010, performed in the stage production of Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown.
- The following year, was in the stage cast of Follies. She took on that role while also filming her scenes for The Good Wife.