- First television appearance was as an unsuccessful contestant on the game show Blind Date in 1991.
- Made her West End debut in 2004 as the lead in Thoroughly Modern Millie, earning an Laurence Olivier nomination for her work.
- Was an original judge on the first season of Britain's Got Talent.
- Ran the 2008 London Marathon for the Born Free Foundation; she also traveled to India and Romania on behalf of the charity.
- Originated the role of Fiona in the West End production of Shrek in 2011.
- Contributed to a children's book called The Curious Tale of Fi-Rex, where celebrities each authored one page of the book; proceeds went to BBC Children in Need.
- Posed nude in a 2016 PETA ad.