- Names Marlon Brando and Peter Sellers as two of his biggest acting influences.
- Has been a member of the Steppenwolf Theatre Company in Chicago and David Mamet's Atlantic Theater Company in New York.
- First big-screen appearance was in the 1997 romantic comedy Fools Rush In.
- Made his Broadway debut in 2005, playing Mitch in A Streetcar Named Desire.
- Auditioned for the role of detective Jimmy McNulty on HBO's The Wire, but was later cast as longshoreman Frank Sobotka.
- Has been a regular on several other TV series, including Third Watch, Tilt, Smith and True Blood.