- Enrolled at the North Carolina School of the Arts when she was 14 to study ballet.
- Began dancing professionally when she was 17 and traveled the world with different troupes, including a modern-dance company founded by Karole Armitage.
- While touring in Los Angeles in 1987, became acquainted with Dennis Hopper, whom she would later marry.
- Decided to switch careers and study acting under Sanford Meisner after she watched Sydney Pollack's documentary on the famed teacher.
- Met her second husband, French Stewart, in 1996 when she guest starred as his love interest on an episode of 3rd Rock From the Sun.
- Owned and operated her own interior-design business called Casa LaNasa.