- Played state-level tennis in school.
- Made his acting debut at age 8 in Yaadon Ki Baaraat (1973); the movie was directed by his uncle Nasir Hussain.
- Was cast for his school friend Aditya Bhattacharya's 40-minute silent film Paranoia (1983). That is when he decided to make a career out of acting.
- Acted in his first ever feature film Holi (1984); was credited as Aamir Hussain.
- His first leading role in the movie Qayamat Se Qayamat Tak (1988) earned him overnight success.
- Started a production company named Aamir Khan Productions Private Limited in 1999.
- In 2003, appeared in a music video for the song "Jab Bhi Choom Leta Hoon," sung by Roopkumar Rathod. It is the only music video he has ever done.
- Received a Padmashri, the fourth highest civilian award in India, for his contribution to Arts in 2003.
- Made his directorial debut with the movie Taare Zameen Par (2007).
- His movie Ghajini (2008) is the first Bollywood movie to have grossed more than 100 crore at the box office. It took the film only 18 days to reach the 100 crore mark.
- Was awarded the Padma Bhushan, India's third highest civilian award, in 2010.
- Was appointed the brand ambassador of the Incredible India campaign in 2009 by the Indian tourism ministry; continued in the post until early 2016.
- The success of his movie Dangal in China has earned him a huge fan base in the country. In Chinese movie circles, he is popularly referred to as Uncle Aamir.