- Is also a mime, musician, dancer and acrobat.
- Worked as a street performer for a time.
- Studied music and theater in Hildesheim, Germany; and acting and directing in Aix-en-Provence, France.
- Made his professional (stage) acting debut in 1981 in Hildesheim, Germany.
- Is fluent in five languages: German, English, French, Italian and Spanish.
- Can play a handful of musical instruments, including violin, piano, guitar and mandolin.
- Studied method acting with Susan Strasberg in Italy during 1989. She helped him secure his first starring movie role, the Italian film Il Piacere delle Carni.
- Has two main residences: Berlin and Paris.
- Hobbies include reading, yoga, meditation and hiking.