Raj Kapoor has been among India's most popular movie stars since the 1940s and is best known for playing a plucky little fellow who is able to use his cleverness and determination to overcome numerous daunting obstacles. In this regard, Kapoor's character has been compared to that of Chaplin's . Kapoor is the son of silent-film actor, theater owner and film producer Prithvi Ra Kapoor. His brothers Shashi and Shammi are also actors.
Biography by Sandra Brennan
- First appeared on screen as a twelve-year-old in Inquilab (1935)
- Two-time winner of the National Film Award for Best Feature Film in Hindi.
- Has received a total of 11 Filmfare Awards.
- Two-time nominee for the Palme d'Or at the Cannes Film Festival.
- The Indian government presented him with the Padma Bhushan, India's third highest civilian award in 1971.
- Was awarded the Dadasaheb Phalke Award for his cinematic achievements in 1987.