It is difficult to say which came first, Pink's clever name, or the color of her hair. Regardless of which inspired which, the rock star's glowing neon-pink locks, in combination with her youthful rock & roll sounds, make her name impossible to forget. Pink was born Alecia Moore on September 8, 1979, in Doylestown, PA. She was raised in nearby Philadelphia, where she broke into the music scene at an age defying the laws of curfew, and had released her first solo album (Can't Take Me Home) by the age of 19, in the spring of 2000. Her successful pop music career led to her performance of the song "Lady Marmalade" in the film Moulin Rouge starring Nicole Kidman in 2001. Pink made several television appearances on the MTV Music Awards, and released a performance video, Pink: Most Girls/There You Go, in 2000. In 2002, she appeared in the feature film Rollerball, an action-fantasy film starring Chris Klein, LL Cool J, and Rebecca Romijn-Stamos. Pink's second album, M!ssundaztood, came out just prior to the film's release, and in 2006 the pop princess continued her acting career as star of the claustrophobic thriller Catacombs, which found her stalked in the dark tunnels beneath the streets of Paris. Two years later, her single So What found Pink at the top of the Billboard Hot 100 chart for the first time in her career.
Biography by Sarah Sloboda
- Nicknamed Pink as a kid because she would blush bright pink when embarrassed.
- As a youth, was the lead singer of two punk bands and sang gospel in all-black churches.
- Became a backup singer for the hip-hop group Schools of Thought at 14.
- Dropped out of high school at 15 and later earned her GED.
- Joined the R&B group Basic Instinct in 1996 and was later recruited for R&B trio Choice.
- After Choice disbanded, was signed as a solo artist by producer L.A. Reid to Babyface's LaFace label.
- Debut solo album, Can't Take Me Home (2000), went double platinum, and her 2001 sophomore effort, M!ssundaztood, went platinum five times over.
- Made her film debut in the 2002 remake of Rollerball and played a major role in the 2007 horror movie Catacombs.
- Reached the top of the Billboard Hot 100 chart for the first time as a solo artist with the 2008 single "So What."
- Is a vegetarian and strong supporter of animal rights and PETA.