- Was a member of the band Keyhole; several of his band mates later formed The Bay City Rollers in 1966.
- Supported himself by working as a double glazing salesman while working for the Royal Shakespeare Company.
- Played a leading role in Dominic Behan's play The Folk Singer in 1972 in Northern Ireland.
- Stopped mid-performance while starring in the 2009 West End production of A View From the Bridge to ask several noisy audience members to leave.
- Made his Broadway debut as a replacement in God of Carnage in 2009.