William Mapother has staked out a peripheral film career thanks to his cousin, Tom Cruise. With haunting eyes and a brooding demeanor, Mapother was a memorable choice to play Marisa Tomei's vicious ex-husband in In the Bedroom (2001), his most recognizable role. Cruise gave the Kentucky native his start with production assistant jobs on Cocktail and Rain Man (both 1988), then a small role in Born on the Fourth of July (1989), where he also worked as the actor's assistant. Mapother has continued to appear in the margins of Cruise films, ranging from Magnolia (1999) to Minority Report (2002), as well as undertaking a larger role in the Cruise-produced Without Limits (1998).
Biography by Derek Armstrong
- Completed the Sight & Sound special program at Tisch School of the Arts at New York University.
- Worked as a substitute teacher in the Los Angeles area.
- Began his showbiz career working as a production assistant on the sets of Cocktail and Rain Man, both starring his cousin, Tom Cruise.
- Studied at the Baron/Brown Studio in Santa Monica.
- Was elected to a three-year term on the National Board of Directors for the Screen Actors Guild in 2007.
- Appeared in more episodes of Lost after his character, Ethan Rom, died then he did when the character was still alive.
- Founded Louisville's Flyover Film Festival.