- Won the Miss Young India beauty pageant in 1977.
- Made her debut in Yash Chopra's Trishul (1978).
- Took up Economics, Public Administration and Political Science in college, but soon signed up for her second movie Noorie (1979), which made her an overnight star.
- Joined the Indian political party Congress for a brief period in 2004.
- In 2009, participated in the third season of the television reality show Bigg Boss.
- Works with Zeenext.com as a Consulting Editor.
- Runs a make-up company called Vanity.
- Owns a film production company called Poetic Justice Films Pvt. Ltd.