- Made his stage debut in 1976 in Arthur Miller's A View From the Bridge at the Haifa Municipal Theatre.
- Co-founded Al-Kasaba Theatre with George Ibrahim in the Palestinian territories.
- In 1986, performed a one-man show based on Emile Habibi's novel The Secret Life of Saeed the Pessoptimist, for which he received the Carthage Theatre Festival Award for Excellence.
- In 2000, played the role of Bernarda Alba in a stage production of The House of Bernarda Alba.
- Won the Carthage Theatre Award for Best Film for his controversial documentary Jenin, Jenin in 2002.
- Directed a stage production of A Day From Our Time in 2007.
- Is a vocal advocate of Palestinians' rights and has directed several documentaries that focus on their political struggle.