A versatile performer born into the lap of show business -- her parents were Gypsy stage choreographer Robert Tucker and ballet instructor Nenette Charisse, and her aunt (by marriage) acclaimed dancer Cyd Charisse -- Nana Visitor grew up on the west side of Manhattan, not far from Broadway. Visitor followed her parents' lead by formally training as a ballet dancer from the age of seven, then segued into tap dance, and in virtually no time seemed destined for the stages of the Great White Way, an accomplishment secured by late adolescence. Visitor's stage credits include My One and Only, Gypsy, 42nd Street, and The Ladies' Room; by the mid-'80s she began signing for on-camera appearances as well, often though not always in telemovies and series roles. Her best-known parts include a regular role as Major Kira Nerys on Star Trek: Deep Space Nine for the series' entire seven-season run and a recurring part during the first season of James Cameron's Dark Angel as the nefarious Dr. Elizabeth Renfro (aka Madame X). Visitor then went on to star as Roxie Hart in a revival of the stage musical Chicago before again taking a regular TV role. This time, Visitor played Jean Ritter on the horse-racing teen drama Wildfire.
Biography by Nathan Southern
- Began dancing at age 7 in the ballet class taught by her mother.
- Changed her last name from Tucker to Visitor at age 16.
- Was accepted to Princeton but took a job as a chorus girl instead of attending college.
- Played Major Kira Nerys in Star Trek: Deep Space Nine and had an asteroid named after her by astronomer W.K.Y. Yeung.
- Her real-life pregnancy in 1996 was written into Star Trek: Deep Space Nine.
- Starred in stage productions of Gypsy, 42nd Street, The Ladies' Room and Chicago.