With his bald, burly, and threatening presence and "tough guy" appearance, character actor Wade Williams (sometimes billed as Wade Andrew Williams) built a substantial career for himself playing thugs and hoods, initially on American television series. Early series credits, which extend back into the late '90s, include guest-starring appearances on such programs as NYPD Blue, Profiler, and Night Man. In time, Williams extended himself into different genres -- he appeared on HBO's show-business satire The Larry Sanders Show, for instance, on Star Trek: Voyager (in the episode "One"), and in the big-screen Jim Belushi cop comedy K-911. Williams drew greatest attention, however, for his portrayal of psychopath Capt. Brian Bellick, one of the administrators of the penitentiary on the Fox serialized drama Prison Break. Williams reportedly expressed some reservations before taking the role, due to the depraved nature of the character.
Biography by Nathan Southern
- Originally planned to study medicine at the University of Tulsa, but after signing up for voice lessons, decided to be an actor instead.
- Has appeared in a number of Broadway musicals, including Guys and Dolls, Les Miserables and Kiss of the Spiderwoman.
- Made his TV debut on an episode of the NBC crime drama Profiler.
- First big-screen appearance was in the Garry Shandling box-office bomb What Planet Are You From? (2000).
- Originally turned down an audition for Prison Break because he didn't want his young daughter to see him portraying such a bad guy.
- Writes songs and can play the harmonica, guitar, banjo and fiddle.